Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College is dedicated to providing opportunities that promote excellence in learning, service and leadership in a global society.
NEO seeks to become a national leader in rural, residential community college education by developing nationally competitive programs in academics, intercollegiate athletics, co-curricular activities, student development and campus facilities.
Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College is organized as a state supported comprehensive college offering associate degrees and/or certificates while remaining sensitive to the specialized educational needs of the local community. The basic curricula contain freshman and sophomore courses for students who intend to pursue a baccalaureate degree after leaving Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College. Occupational programs provide opportunities for those who plan to enter the work force upon graduation. Other educational programs provide for furthering the cultural, occupational, recreational, and enrichment opportunities for those in the community desiring to study, with or without credit, in specific areas of their interest.
What is a Norseman?
In 1945, NEO was gaining recognition academically and for its impressive football team. S.A. ‘Red’ Robertson, famed football coach, felt that it was time for the college to have an official mascot, something NEO had been previously lacking. Because NEO is located in the northeast Oklahoma, Robertson began researching images originating from the northeastern regions of the world. It was then that he found the Norsemen of Europe.
The Norsemen were warriors who roamed the world, fighting ferociously in battle. Robertson felt this was an excellent mascot to represent the college. Charles Banks Wilson, renowned artist and founder of NEO’s Art Department, was commissioned to create the Norseman logo that NEO still uses today.
Decades later, in 1981, Dr. Nick Calcagno, former art instructor, designed and created the nine-foot Norseman statue that graces the entrance to NEO’s campus.
History of Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College
Northeastern Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College (NEO) had its beginning on March 17, 1919 when Governor Robertson signed Senate Bill number 225 creating the Miami School of Mines. A special Board of Regents, authorized under House Bill number 552, organized the school so that it offered only college work, largely of a scientific nature. After holding classes for a year in the Mining and Exchange Building in Miami, the institution moved to its new location on 40 acres of land given by interested citizens of Miami. Here the College operated as a school of mines until 1924, when during a special session of the legislature, the name of the school was changed to Northeastern Oklahoma Junior College and general collegiate courses were added to the curriculum.
Control of the College remained in the hands of the special Board of Regents until 1939 when Northeastern Oklahoma Junior College and the six teachers colleges were placed under the Board of Regents for Agricultural and Mechanical Colleges. A 200 acre farm was purchased, agricultural courses were added, and shop buildings were constructed and equipped to carry on the mechanical work. Over the three decades, NEO College expanded its academic programs and co-curricular activities. NEO became recognized nationally for its intercollegiate athletic programs and livestock judging team.
Today, NEO continues to offer the comprehensive experience along with the advantages of a small, two-year college. The college has nine intercollegiate athletic teams, cheerleading, dance, agricultural judging teams, and rodeo. NEO has over 40 clubs and organizations, providing students with a variety of leadership and community service opportunities. Students from any discipline can participate in co-curricular activities, such as band, vocal music, and music theatre.