The NEO Success Center (CASA) aims to assist students both on campus and online. The Success Center’s distance advisor makes the option of enrolling from a distance seamless with accessibility by phone and email. It is NEO’s goal to help each student by empowering them to explore degree options, make purposeful decisions, strengthen leadership skills and understand the relevance of general education and program specific courses to the achievement of their personal and professional goals.
Meet your online advisor
Distance Academic Advisor
Online Support Specialist
Library Admin. Building 001
Shani will be your online advisor throughout the enrollment process. She will be able to assist with general advising, enrolling in classes, and getting you connected with your departmental advisor.
Distance Learning at NEO
Distance courses are offered at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College via the internet, interactive video (ITV), and hybrid modalities using Canvas, a personal learning environment. Our distance courses are based on guiding principles that are student-focused, learning-centered.
Distance courses teach the same competencies as courses offered at the Miami campus. However, these alternate delivery methods offer educational opportunities to students who are unable to accommodate a traditional class schedule or are location bound. Additionally, the varied formats will address differing student learning styles, needs, and preferences.
To ensure a student’s readiness for online course options, a student must complete any remedial coursework or have tested out through NEO’s placement testing.
Access the Learner Readiness Tool to better assess your readiness for online learning.
Distance Learners’ Advising
Once the advisor receives your information from admissions, you will be contacted either by phone or email for an advising session. This session will include discussion of major options, future career prospects, and scheduling options.
- Upon completing the session, the advisor will:
- Create a schedule, outlining classes.
- Send a schedule to you, the student, through your NEO email account for approval.
- After the schedule has been emailed:
- You must respond with approval within 72 hours through your NEO email account.
- If, for any reason, you do not confirm schedule through email, the schedule will be voided.
- Making changes to a schedule:
- You may rearrange a schedule based on need by contacting the distance advisor through student email.
- Changes to a schedule can be made through the first 2 weeks of classes for both the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Summer schedule changes are based on summer enrollment dates. For current drop/add dates please see below.
The last day to withdraw with a W for summer:
- 8-week session – by the end of 6th week of class*
- June session – by the end of the 3rd week of class*
- July session – by the end of the 3rd week of class*
*Note: The campus is closed on Fridays during the summer session; withdraws with a W must be completed by Thursday at 4 p.m.
The last day to withdraw with a W? for summer:
- 8-week session – by the next to last day of the summer session (Wednesday at 4 p.m.)
- June session – by the next to the last day of the June session (Wednesday at 4 p.m.)
- July session – by the next to the last day of the July session (Wednesday at 4 p.m.)
- Procedure for drop/add:
To completely withdraw from all classes, choose from the following options:
- If you are taking courses from a distance, a complete withdrawal can be done electronically using myNEO for Students.
- You may also withdraw by providing a statement including your name, student ID number, and signature through NEO email to admissions.
To drop/add individual classes:
- Submit an emailed statement including your name, student ID number, and signature through NEO email to the distance advisor requesting changes. Schedule changes will result in full charges for courses added and full refund for courses dropped according to the refund policy found below.
*Refund on tuition according to official NEO catalog: 100% of tuition will be refunded if the student withdraws:
- 16 week classes – Before or during the first 10 days of school for semester courses.
- 8-week session -During the first week of class (Note: Campus is closed on Fridays during the summer session so the last day to drop a class for a full refund is Thursday of the first week)
- 4-week courses – During the first 2 days of classes.
NOTE: No refunds will be provided after these timeframes.
Responsibilities in Advisor-Student Partnership
|Advisor Responsibilities||Student Responsibilities|
Moving Forward with Your Future
NEO faculty and staff would like to help you in any way we can to assist in mapping out your future. Don’t hesitate to contact your online advisor or our CASA Department to discuss the endless possibilities you have to explore! Need more help figuring out what you want to do with your life? FOCUS is a self-paced, online career and education planning tool used to help college students narrow down career options.
It will enable you to self-assess your career relevant personal qualities and explore career fields and major areas of study that are most compatible with your assessment results. Students who use FOCUS make better decisions about their goals and plans and learn how to self-manage their careers. Use FOCUS to help you choose or change your major and also to verify your preferences as early choice of a career field.
First-Time User Log-In
Access Code: NORSE