TRIO Student Support Services Advisor
Department: Student Support Services Department
Job Status: Full-time, 12-month position
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Director of Student Support Services
Amount of Travel Required: Occasional
Work Schedule: 40 hrs., Monday-Friday
Positions Supervised: None
The TRIO SSS Advisor is a full-time position in Student Support Services (SSS) funded by the United States Department of Education to improve the persistence, transfer, and graduation rates of first generation and income-eligible college students at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College. The TRIO Advisor will develop and implement all activities and services to meet project objectives. Will provide advising to a caseload of participants, conduct a series of success workshops, assist with coordinating mentoring activities and career/transfer activities, and collect/analyze data to support project evaluation. NEO SSS serves 160 participants each year.
· Provide classroom presentations for recruiting participants; assist with intake and assessment of participants’ needs and set goals utilizing the Personal Success Plan.
· Provide academic, career, personal and financial counseling, to include educational/degree planning, course selection, and related support services for participants to complete program, graduate, and successfully transfer to a university.
· Track student progress and maintain confidentiality of participant records.
· Plan and facilitate workshops on topics such as stress management, study skills, goal setting and employment skills.
· Establishes working relationship with faculty and staff for the purpose of referrals and gaining and disseminating needed information on program participants.
· Complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and maintain student records.
· Monitor Academic Warning System and SSS attendance records and make follow up contact with participants determined to be “at risk”.
· Develop and promote community resources by networking with area businesses.
· Plan appropriate career and academic mentoring opportunities for participants.
· Collects and organizes occupational data as necessary; compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to assist participants in determining and carrying out educational objectives.
· Provides technical assistance to program and participants (i.e., Zoom, Canvas, create videos).
· Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the position.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team; communicates effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals on and off campus.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Project Director.
Master’s degree in counseling, student services, or related field preferred; bachelor’s degree required.
· At least one year of experience in advising.
· Prior TRIO experience preferred.
· At least two years’ experience working in higher education, community college preferred.
· Demonstrated sensitivity to needs of educationally and economically disadvantaged students.
· Background similar to SSS eligible participants preferred.
· Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint (MS Publisher is a plus). Knowledge of Zoom and Canvas preferred.
Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
Resumes or other supplemental material cannot be substituted for any part of the application. Application can be found online at https://www.neo.edu/employment-application. Please submit it along with your resume or mail to: NEO A&M College, Human Resources, 200 I Street NE, Miami, OK 74354. You may call the Personnel Office at 918-540-6378. AA/EOE